Secrets of Mom Search Results

Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Importance of Straight Teeth

As I may I have mentioned before, I am somewhat of a hoarder. I have stacks of magazines and newspaper articles that are piling up, because at some point I want to refer back to them or there is some recipe that I want to try. I have made a new resolve to sort through these piles, put the useful info on my blog every Thursday and recycle the rest. Today's article, Straight to the point-Why straight teeth are so important was written by Dr. Jacqueline Fulop-Goodling, an orthodontist in New York and published in The Costco Connection in March 2011. I thought it would be a helpful reminder for when I'm paying for braces for Thing 1 and Thing 2. (Given what my teeth and my husband's teeth looked like before braces, there is no if involved here. Our kids don't stand a chance.)
  • Well-aligned teeth are the mark of a healthy mouth
  • Straight teeth make it easier to brush and floss efficiently, as well as improve speech and digestion
  • Straight teeth trap fewer particles, leading to fewer areas of tooth and gum decay
  • People who chew longer and eat slower, digest their food better and tend to be slimmer.
     Straight teeth help in this process.
  • Managing periodontal disease reduces the risk for heart disease and diabetes.
And this one is from my own personal experience, before I had braces I had frequent migraines. After braces I stopped getting them. I think my migraines were caused from the pressure of very crooked teeth. Even now if I go several months without wearing my retainer, I start getting them again as my teeth slip out of place.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! A dental post. I completely agree with all of the above. I would also add that malocclusion/mal-alignment (crooked teeth) can contribute to TMJ problems, (which is probably where your migraines came from), as well as other difficulties with chewing and swallowing. Basically, malocclusion interferes with your teeth functioning as they should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not just the straight teeth that make it all happen; of course you have to make them healthy to achieve all these. It is really easier to clean them because it shields food particles from going in between the teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog! Thanks for such a great information. In these days its hard to find a honest blog . Straight teeth

    ReplyDelete