Secrets of Mom Search Results

Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day!

Hooray for summer holidays! I would like to encourage everyone to take a moment from your burgers, watermelon and holiday sales to remember why we celebrate this holiday. I come from a long line of military servicemen. My brother is in the Army Reserve. My dad was in the Air Force. Four of my grandparents served in World War II. The list goes back to the Revolutionary War. I am proud of my heritage and the sacrifices that my ancestors made. They worked and struggled for a great cause. I am grateful for the countless other soldiers and their families who have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice for the freedoms that we enjoy. Yes, I am well aware that there is a lot going on in America that should be better than it is. Sometimes our political leaders do things that I am very much ashamed of and make me want to vomit and/or clean something. Even so I am grateful for this beautiful land that I live in and the freedoms I enjoy. Often I get frustrated with the health care system, but then I remember my study abroad experience and think "Oh yeah, it could be much, much worse."
 Today I challenge you to do something to show your gratitude for the freedoms you enjoy. Teach your children what Memorial Day is all about, send your expired coupons to military families overseas, tell a Vet "Thank You", pay attention to the news or do anything to make this country a better place to show that you recognize that what we have is good and it is worth making better.

No comments:

Post a Comment