Secrets of Mom Search Results

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chicago- Part 4: The Shedd Aquarium

Our last stop in Chicago was the Shedd Aquarium, which is also located on the Museum Campus. I have to say that the Shedd was the best aquarium that I have visited thus far. It has over 25,000 fish and for a long period of time was the world's largest aquarium. It's kind of like the aquarium meets Sea World. Admission at the door is $32.50 for adults and children. Tickets online are $26.95 for adults and $19.95 for children. If you present a valid Bank of America/Merrill Lynch ATM, credit or debit card, along with photo ID, you can receive one free all-access admission ticket on the first full weekend of each month.Certain Mondays and Tuesdays are free admission days. We used CityPasses, and as I mentioned previously this place was my favorite thing about the Chicago CityPasses. (We waited about fifteen minutes to get in, while the line for those without CityPasses looked like it would take at least three hours. And no, I not exaggerating, when I saw the first line I was ready to bag it. I'm so glad that we didn't.) I believe that there is also a BOGO in the Chicago entertainment book as well. (Here are a list of places that I read had Shedd Aquarium  printable coupons, but don't actually, so don't bother, if anything they just direct you back to the original Shedd website: Shopathome.com, retailmenot.com, slickdeals.net, mahalo.com, destinationcoupons.com, aquariumcoupons.com. If anyone finds any real coupons, please let me know.) Parking is $16 cash in the Adler lot. (We went to the Adler Planetarium and the Shedd in one day, so we only had to pay the parking fee once.) For lunch we had some tasty Chicago dogs from a stand in front of the aquarium, 3 dogs, drinks and chips for $11. So yes, visiting this place can be very pricey, but I thought that it was worth it. (Also I like that their website has stories and information about the different animals there, since reading about exhibits generally isn't on the agenda when we take our kids places.) Also if you go in the morning you can beat most of the crowds making it easier to see the fish.
Black-tipped sharks
Peengos! (As they are known in our house.)
Baby Beluugaaa! (Does anyone else remember singing that song?)
My kids spent a long time watching the dolphins.
Frogfish
I will freely admit that I didn't take most of these pictures, because there are signs everywhere asking us not to take pictures of the animals. These came from the Shedd website.
My daughter sliding in the penguin playplace.

2 comments:

  1. I heart Shedd's aquarium! Haven't been there for years, but we have great memories of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a must-see if you're in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete