Secrets of Mom Search Results

Friday, August 27, 2010

Food Storage Friday: Hawaiian Haystacks

Food storage can make your life easier. One way to start out is to pick a recipe that your family enjoys that incorporates food storage and buy enough ingredients to make that meal 3 times. Once you have 30 recipes, multiplied by three, you will have a 3 month supply of food. Keep these ingredients where you will use them. Case in point: My family loves Hawaiian Haystacks so I purchased all the ingredients to make at least 3 meals worth (It's one of the few meals that everyone is willing to eat, anytime). One Sunday when I was at work my husband decided to make dinner and looked in the pantry. 'Ah-hah! Everything to make Hawaiian Haystacks in plain view.'  I came home to the pleasant surprise of finding not only that dinner was on the table, but that my husband had used food storage to make it. And this works not only for coaxing husbands to cook, but for helping you on those evenings when you're feeling uninspired in the kitchen. If you have a recipe that you're familiar with and you keep the ingredients on hand, you can get dinner on the table quickly without resorting to fast or instant food.

Hawaiian Haystacks
Food storage ingredients minus coconut
Food Storage Ingredients
3 cups of prepared rice
canned pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained
chicken gravy, prepared as directed
slivered almonds
chow mien noodles
shredded coconut
canned mandarin oranges,drained

Fresh Ingredients
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (canned chicken can be substituted in a pinch)
shredded cheddar
1 green onion, sliced

Optional Ingredients
golden raisins
sliced water chestnuts
shredded carrots
diced bell peppers

1. Prepare ingredients (gravy, chicken, etc.) 2. Assemble as desired.

For me, this is comfort food.
For my family, 2 cups of chicken & 3 cups of rice is sufficient for the four of us and even yields some leftovers. One package each of chow mien noodles, almonds and coconut is more than enough for three meals, but we always use an entire can each of the fruit.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting. I've never had those, and can't really tell from the recipe if I'd like them. Guess I'll have to try them, then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're aka "train wrecks" and I highly recommend that you do try them. (I prefer them without the optional ingredients, but I've seen them done that way.) They're so easy and people can build them as they please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful dinner idea. I love it when someone else figures out what dinner is going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We put fresh diced tomatoes on ours as well to add a bit more of a splash of bright color. Very filling.

    And I love anything that makes good leftovers too.

    Visiting from MMB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm...you're making my mouth water. I think we'll have those after church tomorrow.

    Stopped by from MMB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also a little uncomfortable with the recipe (too exotic for my Midwest tastebuds) until Giggles said "add tomato". Hmm - exotic, yes - but worth a try. I am most intrigued by the items you keep in food storage. I had not thought of chow mein noodles, coconut or mandarin oranges. But those are items that would encourage anyone who had to live off of food storage only. Thanks!

    I'm visiting from Mormon Mommy Blogs' Post of the Week. If you find time to check out my post and leave a comment, I would be delighted. Mine is #23, When You Choose What You Got.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I love to find ways to use up our Food Storage. My husband grew on this recipe so I will definitely have to make it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for their input!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Hawaiin Haystacks! Thanks for sharing it.

    I love your blog! I came over from MMB. We care occupations, but mine isn't peds, it's ER.

    I'll be back. I love your philosphy. I also love the idea of your buying for 3 months for your storage.
    Tauna

    ReplyDelete
  10. over from MMB--I love this recipe! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't say that I came up with this philosophy of the 30 meals, 3 month supply on my own. I read about this idea in "I Dare You To Eat It" http://secretsofmom.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-dare-you-to-eat-it.html
    I have also heard it supported in a few emergency preparedness classes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep thinking i should try these, but never get around to it.
    Thanks for giving me a shove. :)

    ReplyDelete