Secrets of Mom Search Results

Friday, February 4, 2011

Food Storage Friday: Chicken Alfredo

There are two ways of doing this. And I have tried both. I store Classico Alfredo sauce in a jar, canned mushrooms, add cooked chicken and serve over cooked pasta. Most often I put slightly more effort into it. Not as much effort as say a traditional chicken alfredo recipe, because that just takes too long to make on a regular basis.

Chicken Alfredo
Food Storage Ingredients:
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary (optional)
16 oz dried pasta (I usually use bow-tie or penne)
1 cup evaporated milk
1 4 oz can mushrooms
1 Tablespoon dried minced onions
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 Tablespoons chopped sundried tomatoes (optional)


Fresh Ingredients:
1-2 cups cooked and seasoned chicken
1 Tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 oz neufchatel (low-fat cream cheese)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. 2. Simmer evaporated milk and neufchatel. After cheese softens whisk into milk until smooth. 3. Whisk in Parmesan. 4. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve over pasta.
We made roasted eggplant and baked zucchini with caramelized tomatoes and mozzarella to go on the side. The roasted eggplant was AMAZING. The next time we get eggplant in our Bountiful Basket I'll have to write a post about it with pictures. Wow, I wish I had one right now. It's so good.

Notes: So for this batch of Alfredo sauce I sauteed 3/4 cup of fresh mushrooms in a dash of olive oil with some garlic. It was delicious, but most often I just use the canned variety. I also added in some fresh rosemary and a tiny bit of parsley because I had it from our Italian pack. I have used canned chicken in this recipe before. It's still pretty good, but not as good as fresh grilled and it doesn't reheat as well. I found a version of this recipe in a book that I once read on a very slow night shift years ago. I can't remember the name of it, something about tips for raising a family without losing your sanity. I've tried finding the book, but since I can't remember the author or actual title. I did photocopy a couple recipes that I combined into this one. Both of the them called for a cube of butter, 8 oz cream cheese, heavy cream and a great deal more salt. So although this is not my healthiest of recipes, it's delicious and significantly more healthy than what I started with.

2 comments: