Secrets of Mom Search Results

Friday, October 22, 2010

Food Storage Friday: Apple & Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes with Cider Sauce

I find that breakfast is the easiest meal to incorporate food storage into and it's a good way to use your food storage on a regular basis. Awhile ago I tried a recipe for Blender Wheat Pancakes that I found in I Dare You To Eat It. It was good, but I couldn't get my kids to try it. Recently I tried another recipe for Spicy Apple Pancakes with Cider Sauce from Skinny Bovine's Kitchen. My kids would eat them, but they left me thinking that there must be a healthier way to make these pancakes. Last week I had the epiphany to combine the recipes. Voila! A simple delicious food storage recipe that my family is willing to eat. I love that it's a way to use your wheat without any advance preparation. Enjoy.

Apple Wheat Pancakes
Food Storage Ingredients
1 cup raw wheat kernels
1 Tablespoon cornmeal
1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Fresh Ingredients
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups large apple chunks (cored, but not peeled)

1. Pour buttermilk and wheat into a blender. Blend until mixture smooth. (About 10 minutes.) 2. Add apple chunks and blend again. 3. Stir remaining ingredients into wheat mixture and make into pancakes over medium/ medium low heat. Makes about one dozen medium pancakes.

The cider sauce is the best part, and I love that everything except the butter are things that I keep in my food storage.

Cider Sauce
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
2 cups apple cider or apple juice
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons butter 
1.Put in dry ingredients then add lemon juice & apple cider/juice. 2 Stir on medium/hot, boiling for one minute while stirring. 3.Take off the stove and add butter. Stir until melted.

My kids actually don't like this syrup, they prefer the ordinary pancake variety. I think it is FANTASTIC. It also makes enough for two batches of pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment