Secrets of Mom Search Results

Friday, January 29, 2010

If you were my friend, this is what I would tell you...

 Let's say that we're friends. Your child is sick and you call me for advice. Most likely I will tell you to take s/he in to see the paediatrician. He says that he thinks that the child needs to be hospitalised. Now here is where my advice will help you. I'm going to tell you right now to "pay attention and ask questions". I think I tell almost every parent that I work with to speak up and ask questions. But sometimes because of the stress of the situation, parents just go along with what is happening. Don't be afraid to make waves!  You don't have to be rude, but this is your child we're talking about, and ultimately you are the one that has to deal with the consequences. Ask what is happening. Ask why. Ask if this is the best option. Ask what possible the side effects of a procedure/ medication are. And don't be satisfied until you get some answers.
 Now I wish that this weren't the case, but sometimes medical decisions are not based on the best interest of the patient. Sometimes they are based on politics or the best interest of the doctor, availability or insurance coverage. And the details vary from case to case, doctor to doctor and hospital to hospital. The best way to make sure your child is getting the best care that they need, is to speak up, pay attention and do not be afraid to ask questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment