Secrets of Mom Search Results

Friday, March 5, 2010

BBQ Chicken and Wheat Salad

Ok, for those who haven't ever had something with wheat berries in it, just stay with me. You need to try this. Using your wheat can be so easy and very delicious. Last summer when I went to a presentation by Liesa Card, she introduced me to the wonders of wheat without a wheat grinder. First you start with this recipe:

To prepare wheatberries:
  • 4 c. raw whole wheat
  • 10 c. water
  • 1 T. salt
Oil a large (4 quart or larger) slow cooker and fill with wheat, water, and salt. Cover and cook on low all night, 8-10 hours. Cooked wheat may be bagged and stored in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for months.

Now you are ready to make all kinds of easy delicious things (one of our favorites is wheatberry salsa) using something that is super cheap, (I got mine for 33 cents per pound at Costco) stores for a long time, and is high in fiber, folic acid and protein.

Yesterday I had success creating something new. I love it when that happens. :) I was inspired by a recipe that I saw in The Essential Food Storage Cookbook, but I made a few drastic changes, like adding food storage. Here it is.

Barbeque Chicken and Wheat Salad
  • 3 cups of cooked wheatberries
  • 2 cups of cooked chopped chicken breasts (I grilled mine with lime pepper)
  • 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can of corn, drained
  • 6 small green onions finely chopped (or 1/2 a red onion chopped)
  • 1 large red bell pepper chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
  • 1 large ripe avocado chopped
  • 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • 2/3 cup ranch dressing
  • 1 Tablespoon of lime juice
  • 2 cups of tortilla chips, crushed
Mix dressing, sauce and lime juice. Mix first eight ingredients in a large bowl with dressing. Store in the fridge for two hours before serving. (Trust me I tasted before and after and it tastes so much better if you let the wheat have a chance absorb the dressing, although it is still good to just eat it right after mixing.) Serve with broken tortilla chips on top.

 
I didn't mix the avocado in the big batch because my husband is severely allergic to them.



The Verdict: I love this salad. My husband liked it. My kids wouldn't eat it and had orange slices and string cheese for dinner. :S But then my children are unfortunately more picky than the average children.

No comments:

Post a Comment