Secrets of Mom Search Results

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Doing and Not Doing Lists of Christmas

I have recently decided that December is not long enough. I believe that it should be at least 6 weeks long. Would anyone really miss it if January and March were a little shorter? I know that I wouldn't. But as it stands I am not capable of doing all of the Christmasy things that I would like to do. As much as I would love it, the "perfect Christmas" is not going to happen. I concede, I can't get it all done and I don't want to drive myself crazy trying. So I made a list of things that I am doing and things that I have decided not to worry about.  I just have to remember that it's OK if I don't get these things done. If I magically have more time, maybe I may do a few from the "not do list".

The December Do List
  1. Read Christmas stories to my kids every night
  2. Put up the tree
  3. Make cookies for my brother-in-law serving in the Phillipines.
  4. Take the kids to see Christmas lights in ours and surrounding neighborhoods
  5. Take the kids to see Christmas lights at the temple.
  6. Team up with some friends to take dinner and gifts to a friend in need
  7. Visiting teaching. I think this is the first time ever that I am done before the 15th of the month.
  8. Maintain a semi-state of order in my home. Much easier said than done.
  9. Healthy meals between the sweets.
  10. Birthday stuff for Thing 2
  11. Read the Christmas story from the Bible
  12. Spend time playing with my kids
  13. Shoe gifts for the 12 days of Christmas
  14. Online Christmas shopping including gifts for siblings and in-laws, stocking stuffers and probably more toys than my kids actually need (but it's just so much fun to snag a deal on something fun for them).
  15. Visit friends and family that live several counties away.
  16. Movie/Game night with extended family.
  17. Teach my children to serve someone in need. Still trying to think of the perfect idea.
  18. Pressing Home and Car Repairs
  19. At least one date with the love of my life.
  20. Oh yeah, and did I mention I'm working Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, along with many other 12 hour shifts throughout the month?
The Not Do List
  1. Christmas cards- not that we didn't have pictures taken, just the actual designing, stamping and mailing of Christmas cards is not going to happen. Sorry friends if you had your hopes up. If I am really on top of thing you may get an email. Save a tree.
  2. Making cookies for my neighbors. My neighbors are awesome. I am really lucky, and I feel kind of bad that we aren't doing things for them at the moment, but we're probably going make cookies in January. Maybe I'm really doing them a favor. Sweets in Moderation.
  3. Have perfectly wrapped gifts under the tree. Do you know what is under my Christmas tree? 3 nativity playsets (not set up mind you, but jumbled into several piles) and a few dozen Christmas books. No actual presents yet. We go for function here.
  4. Gifts for my coworkers. Again I love each of them and think they are awesome, but I can only do so much.
  5. Paper chains and other various crafts with the kids. Just not happening.
  6. Put up the outdoor Christmas lights.
  7. Put up the greater part of my Christmas decorations.
  8. Make my own Christmas ornaments. When there are too many other things to get done, say no to craft!
  9. Attend more than half of the parties we've been invited to.
  10. Host our own Christmas party. I guess we're just party poopers.
  11. Attend local festivals, concerts and programs.
  12. Decorate my blog for Christmas 
  13. Christmas caroling.
  14. Ice-skating
  15. Vast quantities of baking.
  16. Build a snowman, unless there is some very drastic change in the St. George weather.
  17. Gingerbread houses
  18. Put money into savings this month. Oops.
  19. Make gifts for my own kids. Thought about it, but no.
  20. Have an elaborate Christmas dinner (see #20 above) Today I am going to make enchiladas and freeze them. So on Christmas Eve we'll have those with Cafe Rio Style Rice which is also in the freezer. Not fancy, but it will work. And it's not like my kids ever eat elaborate meals when I fix them anyway.
  21. All of those other things that I wanted to do this season that I can't even think of right now.
  22. Save the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment