Secrets of Mom Search Results

Friday, December 31, 2010

Food Storage Friday: Broccoli Wheat Salad

This recipe is a combination of one from I Dare You to Eat It and a salad that is often served in the cafeteria at the hospital where I work, with a few of my own touches. (Before you turn up your nose at the thought of hospital food, I have to say they make some really yummy things at my hospital. Not all hospital food is created equal.) I love this salad, my husband loves this salad, I have many extended family members who love this salad. My children however will not try this. However, that doesn't mean much because they are ridiculously picky.

And here is my food storage tip for the week: How to determine how much food to store: 7 cases (6 #10 cans each) of basic dried food per person will give you enough food  to last a year, plus a little extra. There are 6 basic food storage items that everyone should store: wheat, oats, rice, beans, pasta and potatoes. So pick which one of those that you eat more than the others (I recommend wheat.) and double up on that one. If you have one case of each kind, plus your extra, you will have a year supply for one person.

Broccoli Wheat Salad
Food Storage Ingredients:
2 cups cooked wheat berries
1 cup + 1 Tablespoon light Miracle Whip
1 & 1/4 cup dried cranberries
3 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
1 Tablespoon sugar

Fresh Ingredients:
8-9 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup red onion, diced

1. Mix Miracle Whip and sugar. 2. Combine remaining ingredients and stir Miracle Whip dressing to coat. 3. Refrigerate overnight before serving.

I have tried this one without letting it sit overnight. I warn you that this is not a good idea. The wheat, red onion and broccoli all taste too strong. I like to make this salad as a side to barbeques, sandwiches and relish trays.

No comments:

Post a Comment