Secrets of Mom Search Results

Friday, March 25, 2011

Food Storage Friday: Mini Chicken Pot Pie

Baker Chick's pic, not mine
It has been my mission this week clean out the fridge. I have avoided buying 'fresh' produce because I have so much that I need to use. I am hoping by this afternoon there will be enough used up that it will make cleaning out the fridge a little easier. The other day I found this recipe on Basket 411 (originally from The Baker Chick) and decided to give it a whirl because I could incorporate so many things I already had. Plus those little pies are just so cute.

Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Crust:
Food Storage Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 3/4 cup white flour
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup + 3 Tablespoons canola oil

3/4 cup + 1 1/2 Tablespoons ice cold water

Filling:
Food Storage Ingredients:
1 can chicken chunks* (You can drain the liquid and use it as part of your chicken broth)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (plus a little depending on how much cooks off)
1 cup milk**
salt and pepper
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup flour
3 Tablespoons dried onions

Fresh Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons butter
3- 4 cups fresh veggies*
1 tsp mustard
spices to taste

Crust: 1. Sift four and salt in a bowl. 2. Put oil and water in a cup together 3. Make a valley flour and pour in water and oil. 4. Stir with a fork until it sticks together into a ball. 5. Use a little more than half the dough to line 12 muffins cups. 6. Use the rest of the dough to make 12 muffin tops, set these aside.

Filling: 1. Put hard vegetables (carrots, turnips, parsnips, or potatoes) together in a pot. Just cover with chicken broth and boil for 10 minutes. 2. Add other vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. 3. Drain and save chicken broth and set vegetables aside. 4. In pot mix together oil, butter and onions. 5. After onions are soft and translucent, add flour, salt, pepper, mustard and spices (I used a teaspoon of garlic). 6. Slowly add chicken broth and milk. Stir on medium low heat until thick. 7. Stir in vegetables and chicken chunks.

 Fill muffin pies with filling. Pinch tops into place and cut slits in them to allow steam to escape. Bake for 35 minutes at 425 degrees. They freeze and reheat well.

I forgot to cut slits for the steam to escape.

 *I used canned chicken chunks because I was feeling lazy, if you use fresh, use 1 lb cubed chicken and cooks with hard vegetables. For veggies I used  1 cup chopped carrots, 1 cup chopped turnip, 1 cup snow peas, cut in half, and 1 cup chopped yellow squash. When I've made chicken pot pie in the past I have used canned potato chunks, another food storage ingredient that makes this a little easier. Basket 411 used potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, broccoli, peas and squash. I am certain that dried food storage carrots would work well here, but the point is to use whatever vegetables are convenient.

**Food Storage Milk: I think I may need to write a post just on this topic. Basically I think food storage milk is terrible to drink, but I think it is important to store and rotate. So I try to keep a quart of it mixed in my fridge and use it for cooking purposes. My family can't tell the difference.

2 comments:

  1. these look yummy!! Who would have ever thought of making little pot pies in muffin pans?? What a fun idea!!


    I found that if I use non-instant milk (from our church Storehouse) that it is MUCH MUCH better than instant from the store. If I make the night before so that it is cold, my family will drink it just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my kids drink it when I make it the night before, but I still think it tastes funny. But it's still fine for cooking.

    ReplyDelete