- Providing spaces for their toys. Each of my kids have a toy organizer (like below) in their room, giving them an easy place to sort and store toys.
- Toy boxes and shelves also work.
- Break it down into small tasks. Their entire room can be overwhelming. I often tell them that they need to pick up five things before lunch.
- Make sure they have enough closet/ drawer space to keep clothes put away.
- Make a time limit. "We are going to clean for 15 minutes." Then set a timer.
- Pack up toys and clothes that are no longer used. The less stuff, the easier it is for them to manage.
- Make a competition. "Whoever picks up the most stuff in 15 minutes gets (fill in small prize, candy, choice of movie, etc. whatever motivates your child)"
- Be firm. If you say no games until the rooms are clean, stick to it.
What do you do keep on top of the mess with little ones?