- Whatever in our life is hardest to bear, love can transform into beauty.
- Even when life is the most difficult, we are richer than we think.
- What feeds the soul matters as much as what feeds the body.
- Whenever we can not love in the old human way, God can give us a perfect way.
- God gives us experiences that will strengthen and prepare us for the future.
- Gratitude can improve even the worst of situations.
- Love and forgiveness can heal the wounded soul.
- There is no problem so great that the power of Christ is not greater still.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Book Review: The Hiding Place
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom, and for some unknown reason I haven't read it until last week. It's the story of two sisters. They're old maids living with their elderly father in Holland during World War II. One day Jews just start showing up on their doorstep. So they start hiding them and smuggling them away to other hiding places. Eventually they are caught and sent first to prison, then a work camp in Holland and finally an extermination camp in Germany. What makes this book remarkable is this woman's amazing attitude. Despite all that she went through, this woman manages to have a positive attitude and truly learns to love her enemies. I'm not going to spoil the whole story, but here are a few great lessons that are well illustrated in this book.