- Start with a dry toothbrush (toothpaste only). The dry stiffer bristles help to scrub off plaque. Brush all tooth and gum surfaces, cheekside and tongue side. Do this twice a day.
- Every evening before brushing, floss. Wrap floss around each individual tooth, slide up and down, firmly.
- Don't skip any areas that may be tender. If there are tender areas brush with a toothbrush softened in hot water.
- After flossing and brushing, soften toothbrush with hot water. Then dip toothbrush in Listerine and massage with bristles directed at the gum line, moving only 1/2 a tooth width at a time. Massage all surfaces. You are planting and massaging, not brushing.
- Rinse with Listerine for 30 seconds. Do not swish with water afterwards. You want the Listerine to stay on your gums and teeth for as long as possible, to effectively kill germs.
- Don't forget to brush you tongue for fresher breath.
Since I have started doing this I haven't had any cavities, minimal tarter, only routine check-ups and no more scaling and planings. (If you don't know what a scaling and planing is, count yourself lucky.) And my tooth brushing has normalised to two or three times a day.