Secrets of Mom Search Results

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tropical Sweet Potato Casserole

Ok, here's something strange and random about Heather: When I was six years old I started making a set of cookbooks. I had ambitions of being a famous chef. They are four binders that are falling apart, full notebook pages pasted with various clippings. For the most part I cut recipes off of package labels and out of Better Homes & Gardens magazine. There are also a few family recipes I transcribed in there. (My husband likes to poke fun of my misspellings and the sometimes questionable organization.) Although, I am far from being a famous chef, I still use these cookbooks to this day, often changing things around a bit. (The original version of the pumpkin apple muffin recipe I posted last week is in those books and came off a Libby's canned pumpkin label.) Today's recipe is from those cookbooks, therefore I can't properly give credit to the original source because when I was cutting and pasting that didn't seem important. From the font I'm guessing BH&G.

This sweet potato casserole is lighter than the traditional fair, without butter or marshmallows. Also, I had never made sweet potato casserole before trying this and didn't know what I was getting myself into. It served 6, plus gave me four tupperware containers full of leftovers.  At least it was delicious as well as fairly easy. I froze them so I can just keep having this every few weeks. So the recipe that I'm giving you is half of that. Go ahead and double it if you need to feed a throng.

Tropical Sweet Potato Casserole

2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate
2 Tablespoons milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup pineapple tidbits
1/4 cup shredded coconut

1. In a covered pot, boil sweet potatoes until tender (about 25 minutes). Drain and return to pan. 2. Preheat oven to 350. Mash slightly with a potato masher. Add next six ingredients and stir until well combined.  Transfer to a casserole dish (8x8). 3. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until coconut is toasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment