Secrets of Mom Search Results

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Southwest Cheese Soup

Here's a recipe that I recently found that is fast, easy, uses ingredients I have on hand, and the best part is my family loved it. (I love soup, and it's just something my husband usually tolerates, but he really enjoyed this one.) It was perfect when I needed to make something warm and fast, after spending the late afternoon at the park with my family. The original recipe called for 16 oz of Velveeta. I am not a big Velveeta fan, it has a distinct processed cheese after-taste. However I read several reviews where they tried to use real cheese in this soup, and it just didn't work. They could never make it smooth and it was just a clumpy mess. Here's what I did below and turned out perfect.

Southwest Cheese Soup
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained
1 15 oz can of corn, drained
1 c skim milk
8 oz of Velveeta, cut into cubes
1 c grated cheese (I used a pizza blend, but I think pepper jack would also be good.)

Mix all ingredients and stir over medium heat until cheese is thoroughly melted and mixture is smooth. (About ten minutes) Serve with crushed tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment