Secrets of Mom Search Results

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kitchen Experiment- Chicken Tabouleh Salad

The recipe for this Middle Eastern dish came from Brown Bag Success. It was not a big hit in our house, even after I made my own alterations. I should have known better than to try to feed my husband something with cucumbers and tomatoes. He doesn't like it, the kids won't eat it. The whole thing smacks of "chic food". However, I still enjoyed it. It's a different and easy way to eat wheat, that doesn't require a wheat grinder and I'm always looking for those. Perhaps this recipe will useful to someone whose family isn't quite as picky about their produce. I think that it would be good as a side to a pasta dish.

Chicken Tabouleh Salad 
1 cup cooked wheat berries
1 cup chopped cooked chicken
1 tomato chopped
1/4 cup snipped parsley
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1 green onion chopped
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp grated parmesean

Mix everything in a bowl. Cover and store in the fridge for several hours before eating. This gives the wheat a chance to absorb the dressing.

Pantry Challenge Update: Cranberry Pork Ribs, Beef & Bean Burritos, Wheat Salsa, Homemade Pizza and French Toast, and of coarse lots of leftovers. We haven't had to buy any meat or cheese, just the occasional small random ingredient. We had guests this weekend and everyone was complimentary of the food, even if it was totally based around my food storage. No one complained that the french toast was made with homemade bread and powdered milk. I thought of a way to use some of those canned pork chunks, but it requires beans. How am I out of beans? Some time in March I will have to try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment